Translate

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

CHEESE MONGER'S MAC & CHEESE


This recipe comes from Bon Appetit 2007.  So I've had it for 7 years without trying it.  Hmm.  I suspect that's partly because I like my usual recipe so much.  But I kept it for a reason, right?  So I thought I'd try it and see if it is better or even just different from our usual version.  One thing you can see right away is that it's divided into individual portions right away, which is actually kind of handy.  I did cook all of them, but then when they cooled, I double wrapped some of them for freezing, and single wrapped the remainder for lunches, which worked quite well.  So I may borrow that idea if nothing else.  The cheese used are a little sophisticated for my grandson, and he's often the one I'm thinking of when I make this.  I've taken to puree-ing carrots and spinach and hiding it in the cheese sauce (luckily he's not able to detect the unusual color yet).  But, for a grown-up, this is a nice take on an old favorite.

Cheese Monger's Mac & Cheese

1 1/2 cups coarsely grated Gruyere cheese
1 1/2 cups coarsely grated sharp cheddar cheese (about 6 ounces)
1 1/2 cups diced rindless Brie (freeze for about 20 minutes before you cube it)
5 Tablespoons butter, divided
1/4 cup AP flour
2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
3/4 teaspoon nutmeg
4 cups whole milk
Salt and pepper

1 3/4 cups fresh breadcrumbs made from crustless French bread

1 pound penne pasta


Mix all cheeses.

Set aside 1 cup for topping; cover and chill.

Cook pasta until it is al dente in a dutch oven or large pasta pot.  Drain and rinse with cold water to stop cooking.


Shred french bread in food processor to about this size crumb:


Melt 1 Tablespoon butter in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat.  Add breadcrumbs; toss.  Stir until golden, about 2-4 minutes.  Transfer to a bowl.



In the dutch oven, melt 4 Tablespoons butter over medium heat.  Add flour and stir until mixture turns golden brown, about 4 minutes.


Add thyme and nutmeg.


Gradually whisk in milk.

Simmer until thickened and smooth, stirring often, about 4 minutes.  Add cheeses from large bowl.


Stir until melted and smooth.


Pour pasta into cheese sauce


and toss to coat evenly.

Divide among eight 1 1/4-cup custard cups.  Sprinkle with 1 cup reserved cheese.  Place cups on rimmed baking sheet.


Sprinkle breadcrumbs over pasta.

Bake pasta until beginning to bubble and tops are golden, about 20 minutes.


Makes 8 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment