Translate

Sunday, January 5, 2014

What we're eating now Jan 1-8

I've decided to do something a little different this year.  I'll let you know the dinner menus for the week, which will include a mix of old favorites and new recipes I'm trying for the first time.  When something turns out well, I'll post the recipe, when it doesn't, I'll let you know why we didn't like it.

Jan 1:  Spicy shrimp with cashews, served with rice
Jan 2:  Black and wild rice salad with roasted squash
Jan 3:  Beef with pea pods and shiitakes, served with rice
Jan 4:  Citrus steamed sea bass, chile cheese bread, roasted broccoli
Jan 5:  Moroccan beef short ribs, couscous with pine nuts, tart apple cake
Jan 6:  Hot pepper noodles, fruit salad
Jan 7:  Pork tenderloin stir fry with clementines and Shanghai bok choy, rice

Since it's already the 5th, I don't have photos of the dishes from the past few days.  The successful ones will show up again (spicy shrimp with cashews, beef with pea pods and shiitakes, and citrus steamed sea bass), so I'll give you the complete recipes in the future when I make them again.

The black and wild rice salad with roasted squash was from Bon Appetit, and while it was tasty (it was garnished with pomegranate seeds and pistachios), nobody was clamoring to see it on the menu again.  We all agreed that we liked the roasted butternut squash, and the garnishes, but there was a split on the black and wild rice.  It may have been too exotic for some of the diners.  If you're interested, here is a link:

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/black-and-wild-rice-salad-with-roasted-squash

Which takes us to today, Sunday the 5th, and I've just put the beef short ribs in the refrigerator to marinate.  I've made this dish once before, and we all loved it.  So stay tuned for the recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment