Translate

Thursday, February 13, 2014

What we're eating Feb 12-19



I'm sitting here watching the snow fall and smelling the granola bake.  There's something about a snowy day that demands baking.  This afternoon, I'm going to try a new chocolate chip cookie recipe.  I thought you might be interesting in learning how I was inspired to try yet another recipe.  Last weekend I was on my exercise bike and the only thing on was "The Best Thing I Ever Ate:  Chocolate."  Rocco DeSpirito chose the double chocolate chip cookie at Levain Bakery in NYC.  He described it as crunchy on the outside, but soft and moist on the inside, and it looked wonderful.  The bakers wouldn't reveal the recipe or their secrets, but I took to the internet, and there's a whole world of food bloggers trying to figure out things like this.  I kept getting referred back to one called parsleysagesweet.com and then I just had to try it.  What I like is that people have tried the recipe and written in to suggest improvements, like using pastry flour instead of AP, and probably most important, freezing the dough before baking.  So I will photograph the process [alert:  my photos are not nearly as artistic as Steve's, but he's at work] and post the recipe sometime later.  Steve's research group meets tomorrow, so they'll be my guinea pigs.

Wednesday:  Leftover Crispy Orange Beef
Thursday:  Leftover Mushroom Lasagna
Friday:  assorted leftovers
Saturday:  Enchiladas Suisse
Sunday:  Chicago-style deep dish pizza
Monday:  Leftovers
Tuesday:  Gumbo

The freezer is pretty full, so we're trying to work through some of the leftovers.  That makes for very relaxing days for me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment