Translate

Saturday, November 17, 2012

Thanksgiving

Steve and I have been in San Diego this week for the 65th annual Gerontological Society of America meetings.  It was a little surreal to leave State College at 6:15am and 32 degrees and at 10:15am get off the plane with the sun shining and 80 degrees.

Steve has spent his days in meetings, and in the evenings we share wonderful food with friends old and new.  Last night there was disappointment that I hadn't posted my Thanksgiving recipes, so I apologize.  It's a logistical problem, because Steve takes the photos as I cook, and we would have had to do the whole dinner a few weeks ago, and while that's actually a good idea (who doesn't love a good turkey dinner), I didn't think of it in time.

So, apologies, and I promise that on Wednesday and Thursday we will photograph everything and explain it in my usual loving detail so you can try AND SUCCEED at this iconic American meal.  The funny thing is that until the past few years, we used to have a Chinese meal on Thanksgiving because certain members of our family loathe, totally abhor, can't stop complaining about, any kind of large roasted piece of meat or poultry.

If you want to try something really different this year, look at the recipe in the New York Times for steamed, then roasted turkey.  I have to say I'm really intrigued, and I'll try it after the holidays when I feel more comfortable experimenting.

I also want to encourage you to request specific recipes.  If I don't already have a favorite, I'm happy to experiment until I find a tasty result.  Just sign in and leave your request in the comment space at the end of each post.

No comments:

Post a Comment